Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

Bangladesh all-rounder Mahmudullah announces retirement from Test cricket

Bangladesh all-rounder Mohammad Mahmudullah has called for an end to months of speculation about his future in the longest format of his 12-year career in Test cricket.



"Alhamdulillah, this is a great journey in Test cricket. I would like to thank my family, teammates, coaches and the BCB for their support," he tweeted on Wednesday.

The 35-year-old played his 50th and final Test at Harare Sports Club in July, leading Bangladesh to an unbeaten 150 off 220 balls against Zimbabwe, his fifth Test century.

Rumors spread after his teammates gave him a "guard of honor" after the Harare Test, with reports indicating that he had unofficially announced his retirement. However, cricketers and officials were silent on the issue.

He was recently criticized by the supporters for Bangladesh's poor performance in the T20 format.

The right-hander was selected the best in his debut and the last two Tests. In all, Mahmudullah has scored 2,914 runs at an average of 33.49 and taken 43 wickets in Tests.

He has also captained Bangladesh in six Test matches.

Quoting Bangladesh Cricket, Mahmudullah said, "It's not easy to give up the format I've been in for so long."

"I would like to thank the BCB president for returning to the Test team and for supporting me. I always thank my teammates and support staff for encouraging me and believing in my abilities. It is an honor and privilege to play Tests. For Bangladesh. Cricket and many of my memories will be remembered.

"Although I am retiring from Tests, I will play ODIs and T20 internationals and look forward to giving my best for my country in white ball cricket."

Post a Comment

0 Comments