Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

South Africa's AB de Villiers announces retirement from all cricket

Former South African international AB de Villiers says he has lost his appetite for the game and has decided to retire from all forms of cricket, ending a 17-year career and establishing himself as one of the best in his country.

De Villiers retired from all international formats in May 2018 but was in talks to return to the limited-overs squad for the T20 World Cup before deciding to play for the Proteas again.

The 37-year-old, still involved in franchise cricket, last played for Bangalore in the Indian Premier League, describing his retirement from the South Indian team a decade later as the "end of an era".

"It was an incredible journey, but I have decided to retire from all cricket," de Villiers said in a statement on Friday.

"Ever since I met my older siblings in the backyard, I've been playing the game with pure joy and unbridled enthusiasm. Now, at age 37, that flame is no longer burning brightly.

"That's the reality I have to accept - and all of a sudden it seems like that's why I'm announcing it today. I've spent time.

An explosive and entertaining batsman who also kept wickets, de Villiers is often referred to as "Mr. 360" for his wide shots that find all the corners of the boundary.

De Villiers retired for South Africa with 20,000 runs in Tests, ODIs and T20s and 9,424 runs in T20s.

He reached the triple figure in just 31 deliveries in a 149-run knock against the West Indies in Johannesburg in 2015, setting a record for the fastest ODI century with 16 sixes and nine boundaries.

India's Virat Kohli, who once described his Bangalore teammate De Villiers as "the most influential match winner" in the IPL, said his decision to retire "touched his heart" but knew it was done with the South African family in mind.

"To the best player of our time and the most inspiring person I have ever met, you can be very proud of what you have done and what you have given to RCB, my brother," Kohli said on Twitter.

"Our bond is out of the game and will always be."

Post a Comment

0 Comments